Carluke High Mill
A vision to return the mill to a working state with and for the benefit of the Carluke community
The group aims to establish a working and extended High Mill as a key centre of cultural, economic and educational activity in Carluke, ensure it is supported by a sustainable business model, and help raise the profile of Carluke, and pride in its heritage, through the activities it undertakes.
A detailed options appraisal was completed near the end of 2013, and presented at a public meeting in April 2014. The report may be found via a link on the Strathclyde Building and Preservation Trust website on the right. This report analyses the potential regeneration of Carluke High Mill and the ongoing purpose of the Mill to create employment and have a focal tourist attraction in the town, and for it to be run as a sustainable social enterprise where profits are fed back into the business.
Carluke High Mill Steering Group consists of the Carluke Parish Historical Society, Carluke Development Trust, Clydesdale Mill Society and Strathclyde Building Preservation Trust.
The High Mill stands at the top of Chapel Street, which used to be called Windmill Brae. The Mill tower was built in 1797 by Mr David Dick, on land he leased from the local laird Captain Hamilton of Kirkton and Fairholm. The mill must have been successful, as it was mentioned in an advertisement of 1817 which extolled the virtues of Carluke in the hope of attracting people to the Town. Certainly David Dick became a man of some standing in the town, as he was appointed Baron Baillie in 1815.
However the mill fell into disuse about 1930, having been converted to gas power by James Dick only fifteen years earlier.